Sunday 25 July 2010

Why it pays to stop and think

Sometimes, when I'm on my own, just thinking, I listen to the clocks ticking. Their constant counting of seconds reminds me that we all have a certain amount of time in this world, and that it's worth making the most of.

It makes me think of the years I have already spent and what I have done with them. Admittedly there were no world altering changes in there, but I am proud of how I have grown as a person and what I have achieved for myself so far.

For example, I (and my twin along with me) am the first in my family to get through the first year of university, and the second to actually get in to uni. I know this doesn't seem like a big achievement, but I am proud knowing that those before me have failed where I have succeeded, and therefore my hard work and determination this year paid off.

When I lie back and watch those little clock arms go ceaselessly clockwise, I also think about what else I have to offer, and this time not just myself, but everyone else. I have so much time ahead of me to be able to make a difference. I don't quite know what that difference will be yet; Maybe to help people going through a difficult time with a heartfelt and helpful blog entry?

My advice, to those of you who want it, is to fill your life with happiness and fun. If you find yourself snapping at people, ask yourself if you would rather spend your precious time being happy instead. Chances are, you do.

Try not to spend to much of your time doing nothing; sleeping or on the internet, for example. Instead, why not get out and do something? It could be something small, like going for a walk in the park, or taking a jog to kick start that exercise plan you drew up but never actually did. Or something big, like starting up your own business. What do you have to lose?

2 comments:

  1. You know, you have done a lot more in life than you realise. Every bit of happiness you pass on to someone gets passed on like a chain letter. If everyone did this then we could snowball happiness into even the darkest hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're probably right, but I don't often get that feeling of accomplishment. If I compare myself to say, Nick Jonas (I know, weird of me to give say him), I find that he's younger then me, but he already has a full blown acting and singing career, not to mention his involvement in Diabetes charities. So I knind of think, what have I done?

    ReplyDelete